Thursday, February 10, 2005

second star to the right and straight on till morning

i'm reading a book given to me for my birthday called, "i married adventure", by Luci Swindoll. (thanks helms!) i am so struck by what it had to say:

"So often we want to be somewhere else. When we look at the Now we are in, we have the illusion that if we could just inch or leap forward on the journey, our lives would be richer or better or more "together". We don't want to be Here."

the author shares a poem written by Jason Lehman.

It was spring...but it was summer I wanted,
the warm days, and the great outdoors.
It was summer, fall I wanted,
the colorful leaves, and the cool, dry, air.
It was fall, but it was winter I wanted,
the beautiful snow, and the holiday season.
It was winter, but it was spring I wanted,
the warmth, and the blossoming of nature.
I was a child, but it was adulthood I wanted,
the freedom, and the respect.
I was 20, but it was 30 I wanted,
to be mature, and sophisticated.
I was middle-aged, but it was 20 I wanted,
the youth, and the free spirit.
I was retired, but it was middle age I wanted,
the presence of mind, without limitations.
my life was over. But I never got what I wanted.


God, help me to live in the moment. to live the life abundant that You've gifted me with. none of us are promised tomorrow, and when we look for tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow, we miss the beauty of today. the breath in my lungs, the snowflakes resting on my cheeks that melt slowly and leave a tiny wet drop, the deep deep red and blue of the sunrise on tuesday morning.

what is it that you're expecting? what are you looking forward to that keeps you distracted from what God may be saying TODAY. who are you waiting for? what are you expecting? would it be so important, if today were the day you meet Jesus?

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Oh Schmanda...why do you have a way of speaking to what is heavy on my heart so much?

By the way...I reallly want to see Finding Neverland!!!